Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Memories of the Past: Cognitive Perspective

The instructions for this class were to recall the earliest memories one had.

I remember being licked by a dog I had in KL when I was about 1-2 years old. The wet and soggy feeling made me cry.

According to Dr. Anthony though, it’s highly unlikely that I had remembered this memory, but produced this memory, woven or influenced by other events such as family members recalling it. Dr. Anthony argued that one could only remember true memories originating when one is 5 years old and above, due to neurological development. However, this event seems so vivid and lively that it doesn’t seem possible for it to be something made up.

Memory is capable of changing quite easily. Dr. Anthony used the term “malleable”, meaning it is easily influenced by society. I agree to that as I do recall some memories that I know are false.

In my point of view, I think that there are some memories that I actually do recall accurately. Apart from being licked by a dog, I remember picking the bones of my grandfather after his cremation as part of a ceremony.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home